-One month left to start fasting the holy month of Ramadan. Also, one month left to either maintain your weight, be energetic and do more prayers or to gain weight, be lazy and spend Ramadan sleeping and tired.
How can you maintain your energy balance during fasting ? How to control your weight or even lose a little bit instead of gaining more weight in this holy month ?
Well, it is not as hard as you think. The secret is in your food and some few habits.
When you are fasting, the body takes a defensive phase because of the long fasting hours and the liquids reduction so the body acts like you are in a starvation period, keeping everything you eat in as backup. The metabolism becomes slower to give you energy during the day. That being said, it is not a good idea to eat Junk food or fried potatoes. The same goes to sweets and surgery stuff.
On the other hand, having a larger amount of fruits and vegetables will help in reducing your hunger, give you more energy, keep your stomach light and of course help in preventing gaining weight. The fibres in vegetables and fruits are what it is what all that.
It is hard to imagine eating only eating only vegetables and fruits so in order to keep things under control, you can do small changes when it is time to eat.
- Start with dates as dates has a suitable amount of sugar that will let you regain your energy instantly without harming your stomach.
- Have light soup after it to regain the liquids that were lost during the day. It is the best way to fill your stomach and reduce your hunger and need of food with high calories.
- Most experts advise to stop eating for a while after the soup so you can give your body time to digest. You can go finish your prayer or watch a quick show, then continue eating.
- Now that you ready to eat the main meal, try to eat slowly and start with salad and yogurt first, then you can go for meat, rice, pastas or whatever is cooking!
- Don’t forget to drink a lot of water because our bodies lose water more than we think during fasting.
- Eat lightly at the Sohour and by ”light” we mean having a light sandwich or boiled eggs or fruits with a fresh juice. This is the best practise to keep your stomach light and at the same time give you enough energy to pass the day.
- As for sweets, have a small amount and preferably have one after a minimum of 3 hours after your main meal.
Finally go for a walk or do some sports instead of watching all TV shows.
Doing those small changes will reflect on your health and energy during the Holy month and you might even lose some weight so take care, prepare well and Ramadan Mubarak!
When it comes to cookers, refrigerators, washing machines or small kitchen appliances, Manar Ahmad’s expertise will always come in handy. According to her, women and electronics have never seen eye to eye, especially in Kuwait, nevertheless, she has made it her personal goal to educate women about the man’s electronic world. So look out for the girly apps, pink gadgets, and all the accessories.